Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Journey to Inscribe

I'm sure I stopped breathing. God had been showing me that He wanted me to write but I was aware that I needed help. So I'd prayed that he would show me where to go to find people of like mind who were writing for Him. Now here it was - the answer to that prayer - an advertisement for the Alberta Christian Writers' Fellowship, meeting in a small church about an hour's drive from where we lived.

I was delighted to learn there was such a thing as a Christian writers' organization, let alone that it was so close to home. I attended that first meeting, then a workshop, then another. They asked me to be part of their executive committee, and although it was in a capacity that I did not feel very confident about, (treasurer), I said yes and enjoyed being involved in the planning for workshops and then longer conferences as well as the fellowship of the others in leadership of the organization. Over the years I held many positions on the executive (other than treasurer!).

As I continued to attend the workshops and conferences and enter the contests my writing improved by leaps and bounds. I learned how to submit my work and began to have success in publishing. The encouragement of those who had been writing for some time was invaluable. The friendships I gained were more than I could have hoped for when I prayed that prayer at the beginning of this journey. I know without a doubt I would not be where I am today as a writer and as a person, were it not for the influence of those friends.

It was an exciting day when the executive met and we began talking about expanding ACWF to include all of Canada. We already had members from across the country so it seemed like a logical step. We were pleased when the membership agreed and voted Inscribe Christian Writers' Fellowship into existence. The challenge was, and remains to be, how to engage writers in our organization when they live so far away. It was a delight to see some of them come from as far away as Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to attend our Fall Conferences and to see them connect in local satellite groups, on the internet listserv and through the newsletter, FellowScript.

I know God's hand guided me to find ACWF and I know he continues to guide many others to find ICWF now. He has work for us all to do, words that need to be written, and Inscribe Christian Writers' Fellowship plays a big part in helping us all to accomplish that work - to "write it on a tablet for them, inscribe it on a scroll, that for the days to come it may be an everlasting witness" (Isaiah 30:8).


2 comments:

D L McCarragher said...

Marcia,

Inscribe Christian Writer's Fellowship sounds like it was indeed a "God thing"! Isn't it wonderful how He opens doors and gives us the help we need to further His Kingdom purposes? Congrats on the future path He has you on regarding your writing. Be blessed...

Janet Sketchley said...

Marcia, I'm glad for all that God has done in you through InScribe, and through you for InScribe. And I'm one of the grateful ones for that decision to open membership across Canada!