Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The ADD Writer


I start my day with a cup of coffee and think about what I should have for breakfast. I decide on cereal but there isn’t any milk, so I find a scrap of paper and begin a shopping list.

The phone rings and I take a message for my husband, on another scrap of paper, then remember that I have to call a friend but the phone goes dead so I return it to the cradle and go hunting for the other one.

I enter my office and notice there’s a ‘note to self’ to send an email to my publisher. I sit down to do that and open my email program.
But there’s a note from my daughter so I open it and then decide to send my other daughter a note but she’s on Facebook so I click on the internet icon and open up the world of fb friends.

One of them is excited because she is having her first book published so I send her a note to congratulate her.

Then I decide to click into her site to see what the book cover looks like and notice a link about marketing that looks interesting, so I click on it and decide that it’s a great article so go to my blog to link to it.

There’s a message from a reader there so I take just a wee moment to answer it, and while I’m doing that I remember I intended to post an article to my writing blog.

So I open the folder on my computer where that article should be but it’s not there so I open another one and find a short story that I intended to send to a magazine.

So I go back to my email program and open it up and see that the four lists I’m on have all sent their daily digests so I take just a few moments to look at them and then my stomach growls and I realize it’s lunch time.

My husband comes home and we decide to go out for a bite and then decide we really need to look at that bed that we’ve been thinking about buying and then we see the Tim’s on the corner so decide we need a coffee.

Then I remember that there wasn’t any milk for breakfast so we go to our favourite, huge, all-in-one store and take just a little while to look at the laptops and cameras.

Then suddenly it’s supper time. We drive home and throw something together to eat before heading out to our regular Bible study.

Someone asks how my writing is going.

Writing? Who has time for writing?

11 comments:

vjc said...

Too funny!! And too true, too. I'm not sure it's an ADD thing though...

Lynda S. said...

Oh, do I identify!

Koala Bear Writer said...

Ah yes, isn't that how it happens. :) And then my husband gets home from work and says, "So what did you do today?" and I say...

Belinda said...

It sounds like a very happy day though. And just like many of mine!

M. Hernandez said...

Hi Marcia:

Seems like you have been reading my mail...(laugh)

Monica

Brenda Leyland said...

Marcia, Too funny...alas, that pattern sounds way too familiar in my world too!

Which reminds me, I came to the computer to work on my monthly newsletter, so I'm outta here!

Happy Day, Everyone!

The Sheepcat said...

Heh! Yeah, that's about it, Marcia. Sigh!

Peter Black said...

Fantastically Funny, and true to a T!
Ah, but I wouldn't have guessed that so many writers --those way better and more experienced than I, were also smitten with the Attention Deficit that I see in myself! Hmm. What might that suggest?
Peter.

Kimberley Payne said...

Hey Marcia,

I sat down at the computer with a coffee to catch up on emails. But then I caught the comment from Annette on the TWG listserve about how funny your post was. I clicked on it and read it, then posted a quick comment. Too funny!
Thanks for the smile.
Kimberley Payne
www.kimberleypayne.com

Careann said...

And after bible study you sat down for a coffee with your husband and discovered there still was no milk, right? I'm so glad someone else has these kind of days, too. Great post, thanks!

MisterChris said...

I can so Identify with that. My days go very similarly.

Focus, focus, fo... Oh, look, there's another Blog to Follow!