Saturday, July 01, 2006

One Smooth Stone

That's the title of my novel, which will be published by Castle Quay Books sometime next year. I've decided to make this blog into a journal of that journey. So, I'll start at the beginning.

It was born one Sunday after a woman from a local crisis pregnancy centre gave a talk at our church. I chatted with her afterwards (I had worked on the hotline for her organization) and we got talking about abortion. She said, "Can you imagine what it would be like for someone to discover his mother had tried to abort him?" I could and did and now it's going to be a book.

About that time I left a very stressful job, working on call as a unit clerk and admitions clerk at a local hospital. I tried applying for other positions and got very tired of hearing, "you were our second choice..." I was getting more than a little exasperated with God when a friend mentioned a small craft store in town was looking for someone part time. I talked with one of the owners who said I was over-qualified and they could only pay me just over minimum wage, but I had the job if I wanted it.

I talked with my husband and groaned about the wage, but he said, well, at least it's something going into the bank. So I took the job. My bosses (the business was owned by 4 women), told me I could do whatever I wanted with my time as long as there were no customers in the shop and things were neat and tidy. And they had a computer! With a disk drive! So ...

I wrote my book and got paid 7.00/hr. to do it! I also went from a job that was giving me high blood pressure, to a no-stress job that was a delight. God really does know best!

No comments: