Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Good Question about Christian Writers

Some time ago, on a writer's list, someone asked, "What does a Christian writer have to offer?"

Good question.

I recently had to fly from one side of the country to the other and while in the airport in Toronto picked up a book put out by the PEN group called Writing Away. It included all the "top" names in the Canadian literary world. I started reading as my flight across the country took off and by the time I landed, some 4 hours later, my heart was saddened. These people have voices that are heard and respected, yet there was nothing - and I mean nothing - in any of the pieces in that book that gripped me in any way. One, written by a highly respected woman journalist was about all the places she has swum in her travels. Another blathered on about the food, etc. etc. It was a whole lot of nothing.

Then I read a short story online - go to this link to find it - http://www.infuzemag.com/creative/stories/archives/
2006/03/there_was_geths.html

After reading that beautiful piece of writing, I think the answer is obvious. I cried out to God to help me write in a way that will move people as this story moved me.

What does a Christian writer have to offer? Something of substance, of reality, of hope and grace and light. Something that makes our hearts lean toward the God of our universe.

Oh, how we need to take this calling seriously!

No comments: