Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gulp

I took a leap of faith just before Christmas. I spent about two weeks editing my fiction manuscript, One Smooth Stone, and then sent it to the Castle Quay contest for new Canadian Christian writers. By the time I sent it out, I was pretty much convinced it wasn't very good, but knowing that stage tends to happen to most writers I sent it out anyway. Mostly because of the encouragement of friends. It's hard to stay objective when you get that close.
Now the waiting - four months of waiting since the short list won't be announced until May. Now the challenge of trying not to think about it.

I've been looking at an old ms., The Witnesses, that almost got published years ago. It's a fantasy adventure novel for juvenile readers. I really had fun writing it, and the sequel to it, but when that promising contract didn't materialize I got discouraged and shelved it. I even started # 3 long ago, but haven't gone back to it yet. If One Smooth Stone doesn't win with CQ, I'll try marketing The Witnesses. That will be a 'cold call' so it means putting the proposal together etc. which isn't my most favourite thing to do, but oh well. Necessary evils.

As 2006 swings into its first week I'm tempted to set some goals, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Other than the general - write more, speak more, sell more books.
I do want to be more consistent with blogging.

We'll see what the year delivers.
:)M

No comments: