Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Writers' resources

Hi - I'm jumping into the Celebration of Christian Fiction a bit late - hope they'll still accept me! :)

One of the best books I've read on writing your own life story is by Bill Roorbach - called, uh - oh yeah, Writing Life Stories. Roorbach helps you go beyond the surface - he calls it cracking open the sentences. Each chapter has an exercise - I highly recommend this one.

Noah Lukeman's book, The First Five Pages is a good one too. You can almost use it as a check list once you've finished a story or novel. He details common mistakes and how to fix them.

For short block busters you can't beat Natalie Goldberg's Room to Write.

And as others have said, Bird By Bird is great - caution re: language though.

And if you want a great little devotional book I just happen to have released a new one! Shamelessly promoting going on here! :)
Marci

No comments: