Tuesday, June 28, 2005

writing in my head

I've been immersed in job training lately. Learning new skills, interacting with new people. It's been hard to find the time to get to my keyboard, but I find that doesn't stop my mind from following its well worn paths toward creating fictional scenes and characters. I started playing "what-if" about one of my colleagues the other day and had to give my head a shake to bring myself back to reality. I've already used one incident to write my column and I'm sure there will be many more in that workplace. It's a going concern and leaves lots of room for fodder for my writer's mill.
Someone once told me that our activities actually make paths in our brains that become like ruts. They will always follow the same route and are very hard to veer away from. I wondered about that as I watched my daughter writing the other day. Yes, she's taking after me - has already filled several scrap books. I wondered how she got started doing it. Was it genetics? Was it the desire to be like me? Or is there a well worn path in her brain along which story-telling thoughts just naturally go?
Maybe that's where they get the word pathological? Oh dear!
:)Marci

No comments: